Sunday, December 9, 2007

Rejecting gender stereotypes

I've never the seen the Horse Whisperer, but I understand what Bell Hooks is saying. Many movies and books send the message that women think they can be happy with a successful career and no husband until they fall in love with a man and realize they were wrong.

I don't appreciate these portrayals because it perpetuates the theory that if a woman is frigid, she just needs a good man and a good romp in bed with that man. I know guys who believe sex is just the solution to ease what they see as an "uptight" woman.

Hooks also goes on to say that media portrays feminism to be negative and culpable for women straying from traditional gender roles. This "blame feminism" phenomenon is something I've been frustrated with for a while now. Feminism is the notion that women are people, and therefore, equal to men. It's not about refusing to shave my armpits or hating men, it's about ensuring that I get paid as much as my male counterpart; or speaking out about horrendous crimes against women such as rape and domestic violence.

We've also discussed how the media portrays situations to have no happy medium or gray areas. A female is a career woman, or a mom. She's either good at her job or good at taking care of her family. The media tell us there can't be both. I know this to be untrue because my mom is valued at work and at home.

No comments: