Friday, December 7, 2007

Black female experience

I am curious as to why black women are more likely to die from breast cancer than white women, by a lot. I am even more curious as to why they receive less help. I'm sure that lack of financing is a factor-- but it can't be the entire reason.

"In South Carolina, black women made up nearly 30 percent of all democratic primary voters in 2004. This year, polls show a significant number are undecided, torn between choosing the first African-American or first female Presidential candidate."

This may be slightly off topic but why, when voting, do people sometimes only consider which candidate is most like them in color, gender or religion? This is commonplace and really pisses me off. A black woman should not be torn between two presidential candidates because one is black and one is a woman, the only reason she should be torn is if there are two candidates that both closely reflect her political values.

But I guess they do have more of an excuse to vote for someone like them because they're a minority. I can't really speak about what that's experience is like. Although I am a minority because I'm a woman, I don't feel like one. Is it because I'm white?

The article read that the lack of blacks in higher education and business causes racial disparity and effects the construct of the black family. It goes on to say that interracial marriage between black females and white males had jumped by 39,000 marriages in just five years. Is it possible that the lack of blacks in education and business cause black woman to seek a life partner in a white man since he is statistically more likely to have an education and have a white collar job, or have people just become open-minded? The former thought is surely a pessimistic one but I can't help but wonder if there is a connection.

No comments: